Wednesday 13 February 2008

Happy Valentine's & 拜天公 day!

I guess the people who will be smiling away all day and saying "Huat ah!" would be the restaurant owners, hotels, florists and chocolate retailers. The SO and I have never celebrated valentine's, not even while we were dating. SO says it's too commercial, or maybe he's just stingy...keke!

As a kid who lived in an old shophouse among the mostly Hokkien community, praying to the sky God was a very fun, boisterious event. It was really 兴高采烈! Both sides of the street would be lined with red colour tables, each tied with a pair of sugar cane branches by the side and filled with lots of goodies, including the obiquitous roasted 猪头, an assortment of meat, fish (to be converted into fish floss), fruits and candles. Old men playing flutes would come by to visit every household to play a short, auspicious tune for a small red packet, and lions would come dancing and add to the festive air! We kids were happy to stay up late till 12am, and that's when mom will sliced up the long-awaited, yummy home-made Ngoh Hiang (五香) and chopped up the sugar cane for us to sup on! Yoohoo~!

I'm reminiscing, but those were really memorable days. Once we moved into HDB flats, the feel of the celebration was never the same.

:-)

ps: Ok, ok, I must attempt to learn to make the Ngoh Hiang this year; must not let the yummy home recipe be lost. Mom has probably forgotten the exact recipe, but I shall try to re-create it by trial and error. :-P

16 comments:

kuro.shiro.neko said...

hi auntie p, i volunteer to be your guinea pig. hehe..

ngoh hiang fanatic
aka ksn & lincoln

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

i can also volunteer! *WIDE GRIN*

auntie p said...

Piangz...volunteer yourself not enough, can volunteer your cat somemore! Want to eat ngoh hiang, wait har...dunno when? Heh!

I just ate 1 curry puff so near lunchtime, and this morning, I thought my diet was going well.
>_<

kuro.shiro.neko said...

no lah, not i volunteer lincoln one... he told me to put his name on your "waiting list". hehe..

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

i think Ah Boy isn't such a fussy eater. yet. haha.....

but u can prepare extra maggi chilli sauce. if erm.....kekeke.....

auntie p said...

Actually, you know what? I realise that when it comes to ngoh hiang, one woman's recipe may be another woman's poison!

Most conventional ngoh hiang recipes calls for mainly meat + a bit of water chestnuts (some even use yam!), but my mom's version has got other vegetables like carrots, spring onions and dunno what. So, it may not appeal to you, but it will always be my favourite version and the one I miss the most.

cat_aunty said...

I also want to be the test-eater leh....count me in.....yOu don't try to deter us with the thoughts of VEGATABLES!!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

hunor! =)))

i can make curry and/or braised chicken wings. if got potluck hor.....count me in!

*WIDE GRIN*

kuro.shiro.neko said...

yah, maybe we can have potluck! i can volunteer my house... or whichever is convenient for all

what dish can i cook?... kim chi fried rice anyone?

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

咖啡王子 1 号店!woohoo!!!

but who to provide the 社长 har?

*hands cover mouth + chuckle*

auntie p said...

I'm amazed at how the topic of praying to the sky God can lead you ladies to planning a potluck party and thinking about what to cook!?!

你们太厉害了!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

be amazed by the womenfolks. only women can do it so well, it's our privilage + right!

kekeke.....

but can consider boh?

kuro.shiro.neko said...

so how? on boh?

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

KSN: me think she runs away liao. kekeke.....

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

in case some of u dun read me blog, u can get Temptations from vPost.

http://vshopusa.vpost.com.sg/aom/shop.php?k=temptations&c=18
=D

auntie p said...

I'll be busy for the next few weekends, so if you're keen, by all means, you can organise a potluck. I'll join you if I can make it. :)