Thursday 21 February 2008

元宵节

Today is the 15th and the last day of the Chinese new year, or 元宵节.

The SO asked me what's the significance of this day. I can't quite remember, but as a single living with my family, it would be the day for another reunion dinner of sorts, usually steamboat. I was told recently that this is more usual for the Teochews.

Then what about the day when single, unattached men and women are supposed to throw Mandarin oranges into the sea, so as to get blessed, or have their specific orange(s) get picked up by an eligible party? I know there's one day in CNY meant for this, but can't remember which day.

I also vaguely remember this practice of throwing oranges was done during the Mooncake Festival (中秋节), unless I am getting all confused with the different festivals as age catches up. :-(

No comments: