Tuesday 12 February 2008

Fuji apples

After having eaten the Fuji apple from Japan last Sat (for the first time), the PRC's Fuji apple I'm eating now taste blah!....so bland. The one from Japan has an intense apple flavour and was very sweet, definitely not a taste which I had tasted before. I think I will not buy PRC's Fuji apple from now on.

I saw the Japanese Wong Bok (pek chye) at Cold Storage earlier and was tempted to buy it. One whole cabbage costs about $5, perhaps $1.50 to $2 more than the PRC one. Luckily, the PRC's Wong Bok at this time of Spring (called 元宵白)usually tastes very sweet, so perhaps I'll try the Japanese version after Spring is over.

LHL can try to convince us with his "bread is bread, rice is rice" talk, but I am not convinced lah! If that were true, then there would be no such thing as 一分钱,一分货, would it? Even the Sunday Times' ranking of bread has proven that bread is not just bread, regardless of price, ok? That ranking/taste test by Violet Oon published last Sunday was like a spoof on LHL's theory...haha! And the funniest thing is that "Aunty Lucy" house brand of bread did not even get into the top 10 ranking.

Tsk, tsk, so malu!

4 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

oh, but my comrade epicurean, the sweetness from Jap's wongbok is different from the sweetness of China's. u MUST taste it to experience it.

if u ask me, the sweetness from Jap's is Alive, while China's sweet-sweet bcos of the season. and oh, Jap's not fiberous, it's delicate while China's good for LOOONG time cooking. if u get wat i mean. =P

for the Jap's, avoid those that has their centre part sticking out like a bloom, it's not tat good anymore.

anyway.

it's an umami experience! =)))

kuro.shiro.neko said...

i guarantee you, auntie p, if you ever step into Japan and eat the sushi, sashmi, tonkatsu, etc etc, and oh the RAMEN there, you wont ever want to dine in Sakae Sushi here!

btw, small correction, the apple you ate is from Aomori, not Fuji. Aomori is the land of apples in Japan (northern part)!

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

i second KSN though i've not been there. my frds crossed their hearts on this for me liao, they say even street food has higher standard than our *ahem* trashy sushi chains. whichever chain that it. =P

auntie p said...

FF: Er...thank hor, but dun think I qualify to be epicurean, coz I can't bear to spend too much $$$ on "branded" food items...get heart pain.

And I think you mean braised, right? ;)

KSN: Yep, yep...I couldn't remember the Aomori word earlier. It's called Aomori Fuji apples (Fuji refers to the species?). "Aunty Lucy" supermart got sell them in limited quantities. :)