Tuesday 12 February 2008

Do you like to lo hei?

Or more specifically, do you like to eat the yusheng salad (raw fish salad) from the lo hei? I've never really like this dish, as I find it has a weird taste, machiam too sweet and too citrusy. I like to eat salads but I think the overpowering taste and smell of the preserved orange peel and perhaps nutmeg, and what-have-yous thrown in kind of turn me off a bit.


So, it was to my surprise when I had a very pleasant home-made yusheng at the SO's cousins' home recently. The yusheng had lots of fresh vegetables (mainly shredded cucumber & carrots) and did not have the overpowering taste of any one herb or seasoning, so it was quite tasty. They'd even added thin slices of abalone in the lot.

The vegetables were very finely and evenly shredded, and when I asked if they were chopped up by machine, cousin's hubby pointed to his FIL and said: "There! That's the machine." LOLs!

Cousins' mom says they would make and eat this dish several times over the CNY period. Lucky, lucky cousins!

3 comments:

kuro.shiro.neko said...

i like lo hei, but only once a year...

for the 好兆头

cat_aunty said...

I like yusheng. If you do not like the over powering taste, you can moderate the seasonings. Not the same CNY if no lou hei leh hahaha

auntie p said...

This lou hei, is it a Singaporean thing? Or is it in M'sia too?

Nowadays, even before CNY, the zhi char stalls already offer lou hei!