Sunday 6 April 2008

Vegetarian - Hakka Lei Cha 2

The first attempt at trying Hakka Lei Cha (organic version) didn't turn me into an addict, so I thought I'd give this dish another try, this time from the Pine Tree vegetarian stall. Pine Tree has several branches over the island and has build up a reputation for nice vegetarian food, especially their yong tau foo.

I figured I won't be able to stomach all the rice, veges and that bowl of soup for lunch, so I tar-bao it home.

Photobucket

This version tastes much better and the brown rice has just the right chewy consistency - not too hard, and not too soft.

Photobucket

The soup though, was another matter - it has lots of "meshed-up grass"!

Photobucket
The soup was a bit oily (maybe from sesame oil?) and just a tad salty, which stopped me from drinking more of it.

After finishing the rice (I ate the leftover the next morning), the base of the plastic bowl was quite oily. The oil must have come from the seasoned vegetables. So, while this dish is quite healthy, it does contain quite a bit of oil, and should be eaten with restraint. :)

4 comments:

KXBC said...

It is basil soup. Quite nice but an acquired taste.

Vivocity Republic Plaza food court serves a non-vege version with ikan bilis. Quite nice.

Another good one is at a shop house near Amoy Market.

auntie p said...

Hmm...I can imagine how nice it must be with ikan bilis. When I was a kid, I started adding fried ikan bilis to my fried rice as a topping, before it became common...yummy! :)

Is the non-vegetarian version of Lei Cha served with white rice, or with brown rice too? I've never tried it even though I was at Amoy market (where there's a stall) last December.

KXBC said...

I was told the one at the AMoy Mkt is no good. The one I was refering to is at a shophouse nearby. It was the first time I had LCF.

Try the one at Vivo Republic Food COurt. It has both the white and brown rice version. Don't be greedy and order extra food. That bowl of rice is enough for 1 person. I always have it when I go there. Have not tried the other stalls at all.

cat_aunty said...

An acquired taste