Saturday 5 April 2008

Vegetarian food

Some of the vegetarian food that I've had recently, besides the brown rice chye png (vegetables & rice) combo every now and then.

Kueh Chap - Interestingly, the fishball was super crunchy/crispy, but too salty.

Photobucket

Herbal noodles - very nice with herbal soup and the ubiquitous mock mutton (made from mushroom stalks)

Photobucket

Laksa with mock cockles, which was wrongly served to me!

Photobucket
I'd ordered yong tau foo items with laksa gravy, including the vegetarian ngoh hiang, and this bowl arrived, also with the ngoh hiang on top, so I thought it was my order. Luckily, the other customer didn't mind having my food instead and paid more for it. I find that the regular customers at vegetarian stalls are quite amiable and willing to accept such minor mistakes without fuss.

The soup accompanying the main course of ...

Photobucket

Vegetarian Korean Bibimbap (organic version with brown rice)...super yum!

Photobucket
Instead of the usual sunny-side-up egg, it has what looked like scrambled egg, which was very cleverly made from toufu and almost tasted like the real thing. The soup has radish, carrots, soya beans and perhaps a piece of yam-cum-sweet-potato thing.

4 comments:

EJ. said...

Mock cockles? Made of what, Aunty P?

auntie p said...

Heheh...that was what I wanted to know too before I tried that vegetarian laksa. The mock cockles were made of some kind of dark-coloured mushrooms. They were broken up in smaller pieces so I couldn't decipher if they were straw mushrooms, but they did have a squiggly feel to them, although not as squiggly as the real cockles. Quite a clever imitation.

KXBC said...

One reason why I don't take vegetarian food is because of all these mock meat they use. It's so loaded with salt, preservative and MSG that I don't see how it is good for health.

I like my vegetables and tofu (and lots of it) but somehow I draw the line at mock meat.

auntie p said...

kxbc, I agree those mock meat are overly processed with artifical flavours, colours, etc. and I try to avoid them. I prefer to eat the fresh vegies, hence the bibimbap is such a favourite of mine.

However, I have come across foodblogs of vegetarians whose favourite vegetarian dishes consist of those mock meats, mock cha siew, mock assam fish, etc. which are usually covered in some strong-tasting gravy. There is even a mock roast suckling pig! :-O