Sunday 6 April 2008

Speaking of things Korean...

The SO and I sometimes watch Korean drama serials, but only the comedies, like "My Name is Kim San Soon" and "My Girl", two of our favourites. I've learnt a thing or two about their culture through watching these serials, such as:

* Age does make a difference - the junior must respect the elderly without question (& without questioning them!). Not only that, the junior must also respect the senior even if they are only a couple of years apart.

* It's still a mostly patriarchal society, so the men are still quite MCP while the married women must hold a subservient role. The upside of this is that the married woman can choose to be a stay-at-home wife while the husband brings home the bacon or kimchi, which makes life a little simpler (I think).

* Cosmetic surgery is VERY common, such that even before their convocation, the uni grads will think of improving their looks under the knife, so that they can take a great-looking make-over picture for their job search. Most celebrities would have had some form of cosmetic surgery (I saw the transformation on some web forum!)

I have a couple of puzzles though:

# How do the Koreans drink hot soup with that spiny, silver or stainless steel spoon of theirs, or do they usually consume food that's not hot? That spoon can take only less than half the soup (not shiok to drink) compared to the traditional Chinese spoon, and it gets very hot when dipped in hot soup, so how do they even place that hot spoon to their lips??

(Photo from Wikipedia)

# With so many folks and celebrities who had cosmetic surgery done to their faces, when they get married and have children, the Koreans are going to end up with kids who do not look anything like their parents, right? Then their kids may start to wonder if they are really their parents' son or daughter... :P

Anyhow, I for one, love to each Korean kimchi with rice, and I absolutely love Bibimbap, the Korean mixed rice. I must try to cook it at home one day. :)

2 comments:

EJ. said...

I also noticed from the drama series, they loves to use stainless steel spoon for rice/soup.and not porcelain ones.

cat_aunty said...

I did wondered the same thing re their utensils too....the spoons and the metal chopsticks espcially. So heavy, how to use? Then the bowls are metallic too.....*scratch head*