Saturday 19 April 2008

Macarons

I wondered what all the fuss was about this relatively new dessert which I keep hearing gushing comments about, especially from bloggers who like to bake. I've not tasted it, though it sounds to me like yet another "high-class" fad thingy. What I do know, is that it's very difficult to bake them well, and they're made of egg white, icing sugar and perhaps, cream (for the filling).

Photobucket
Other than that cafe place at the basement of Raffles City, I found them at Bakerzin when I happened to go to Wisma Atria (which I haven't been to for a long time) to get my hp serviced.

Photobucket
I bought them in rose, lemon and some sort of vanilla-strawberry flavour. Each tiny biscuit costs $1.60, including GST, so all 3 miserable biscuits cost $4.80. Piangz...so expensive!

Photobucket

The surface looks hard, but once I take a small bite, the whole thing crackles like fragile wafer. The inside texture is very airy, made from whipped egg white and held together by the icing sugar.

Photobucket
The lemon one tastes artificial; there wasn't any taste of strawberry in the vanilla-strawberry one, and the rose-flavoured one tastes nice (because I happen to like rose syrup). One thing's for sure: all of them taste cloyingly SWEET! Send out the DIABETES ALERT!!

Luckily, I'm not into sweet things, so I don't think I will purposely buy them again. Haha!

6 comments:

KXBC said...

I like rose syrup too. Bandung is my fav sweet drink though I am not a fan of sweet drinks at all.

EJ. said...

something new. looks like breakfast muffins.good for sweet tooths.

auntie p said...

They may look like muffins, but they're very different. They're much smaller, and the texture is more like biscuits.

The SO thought they look like jaws with teeth! :)

leslie said...

I think i need 10 for breakfast!!! *arrrgghhh

Love your blog!

auntie p said...

Hi, stay@home mom-to-be, thanks for dropping by.

Congratulations too! :)

cat_aunty said...

They are the in thing now in USA *shrug*