Tuesday 8 January 2008

Food tip: Sprouting tubers can't be eaten

From the Japanese curry & cabbage post, I realised I might have given the impression that I cooked the sprouting sweet potato in the curry. *Oops!* My apologies for the miscommunication. That sprouting "alienated" sweet potato was an old photo and I threw the tuber out afterwards.

Tubers (like potatoes and sweet potatoes) that begin to sprout conspicous eyes and shoots MUST NOT be eaten, as they can be toxic, according to traditional Chinese "general rules or principles" of food preparation and healthy eating. You know we always hear about how certain food is cooling or heaty, or that certain food should not be eaten with others or it may negate the positive qualities, etc. - these are "principles" that I'm referring to.

Another general rule that I distinctly remember is that green beans (乌龟豆 in Hokkien) and 金针(flower) (Kim Zarm in Hokkien) must be properly cooked for if uncooked, they are toxic if eaten.

1 comment:

EJ. said...

Thanks for the clarification,Aunty P. and the food safety reminder.