Saturday 5 January 2008

The answer to "Guess the fruit"

Ta daa!!

Though the package says "Fresh fruits with syrup", I thought it was a mis-spelling, as I didn't see any syrup, what!?

Photobucket

I got a mild shock after it came out of the bag, coz I'd thought it was those Japanese sorbet dessert, coz the surface really looked like it; shocked because I had left it out on the table for several hours after I brought it home.

Then I thought: it can't be what...coz the fruit seller also didn't keep in in the fridge. *Phew!*

Photobucket

The inside was hard...

Photobucket

The skin had been peeled off, and the fruit soaked in syrup.
Ahhh...so, that's what they'd meant by "fruit in syrup"!

Photobucket

The skin tasted a bit like ...sweet, fruity, with a slight fermented taste...as if it had a tinge of alcohol...
I'm not sure if the fermented taste was supposed to be there, or the fruit had really started to ferment coz it was left outside of the fridge for hours!

I was a bit worried for my tummy after I ate it...

Photobucket

Anyway, just anyhow whacked it with some sour plum powder lah!

Photobucket

Verdict: It's got an interesting taste, and the white flesh inside tasted like normal fresh guava, though I'm not really keen on that syrupy exterior. I'm sure whatever syrup it's soaked in was sure to contain additives or preservatives.

So, I would still prefer to eat fresh guava fresh, without the syrup, but I would definitely dunk in into the erm...preserved sour plum powder...which er...in most likelihood, also contains preservatives and lots of salt. :P We choose our own sinful foodstuff, eh?


Guess the fruit

4 comments:

cat_aunty said...

*scratch head*

So is treated guava??

Anonymous said...

I believe this should be kept in the fridge leh.....I usually buy this in bkk, din noe it's sold in sg as well.

auntie p said...

Very weird right, cat aunty?

Anon: yeah, I agree it should be kept in the fridge at all times, but that wasn't the case at the fruit stall. And I'd left it out on the table for hours before I remembered to keep it in the fridge. :P

EJ. said...

So it's guava.
Looks like a green apple.