Tuesday 24 April 2007

Thai Pineapple Rice

I've been cooking dinner yesterday and today, and cooking dishes which I would normally leave for the weekends because they require more steps, more ingredients or more preparation time. I had time to cook them because I'd been on sick leave from a toe injury...smacked my toe against the corner of the granite stone (from the water feature)! The senior doctor at the clinic was very kind and understanding...he gave me 2 days' mc to rest! *grin*

Anyway, I cooked pineapple rice using the paste from Dancing Chef. I had previously tried their Thai curry paste which tasted quite authentic and hot. I didn't cook their curry again because SO can't take the hotness, but if it's not hot, it wouldn't be authentic, right? *roll eyes*


The list of other ingredients and steps are listed at the back of the package. It's not difficult lah, except that one has prepare the cooked chicken and prawns before frying the rice. The paste is quite watery, so better make sure the cooked rice is not soggy/overcooked to start with.

As I didn't want to have bland-tasting chicken, I marinated them in some chicken stock, a bit of wine and sesame oil. I've also added chopped garlic and ginger, both of which were not called for by the recipe (only onion was listed). To me, fried rice without garlic is like soup without "body" - flat! :P


The main ingredients are chicken, prawn, pineapple, onion plus a topping of fried egg strips and spring onion. I skipped the red and green chillis as I didn't have any.

I forgot to buy fresh pineapple today, so I used canned pineapple instead - just rinse them, drain well and chop into small pieces. In fact, I gave the pineapple a little squeeze - which turn out to be necessary in order not to have wet fried rice.

Pineapple rice served with a plain salad to counter the sweet-spicy (but not hot) taste of the rice.

Oh, by the way, the rice taste good, not because my cooking is good, but the paste is good. :)


1 comment:

auntie p said...

Thanks for the website, hamster. :)