Monday 9 April 2007

A food-ful weekend

Last week was the long Good Friday weekend. It was good, and this morning, I felt like I finally have enough R & R.

Very sinfully, I ate and ate a lot over the weekend! Lots of sinful food and lots of salty food!

Thursday: Even before the long weekend started, we met up with friends at Botak Jones - where sinful, salty American food is served at kopitiam prices. The Cajun chicken was acceptable but the kitchen staff definitely had been too heavy-handed in sprinkling the salt over the fries, that it's was almost inedible. We also have a small bowl of the yummy gumbo which I'm sure was high in salt and other assorted spices (besides the hot green chillies). It was a warm night plus the salty food made me very thirty, that I had to have 2 cans of drinks (shared with SO though). And because dinner was late, I had to eat an Indian mutton curry puff drenched in a watery so-called chilli sauce to stave off my hunger first.

Friday: Had lunch at a hawker centre, plus the sinful friend carrot cake, plus sugar cane juice with lemon. After that, the SO still can tempt me by asking me if I wanted to eat ice-cream! So we had 2 scoops of lemon-plus-pink grapefruit gelatto or whatever (??) but they tasted more like sherbet.

Then we bought some snacks (from Thai Express Kovan) to visit mom's place where we...erm...ate the snacks and more! So we had Thai tapioca drenched with syrup and thick coconut milk, onek onek (Nonya snack), agar agar and friend bee hoon by mom. Mom's beehoon has got more "liao" (ingredients) than beehoon. Besides prawns and fish cake, she had even added a can of the fatty, sinful Ma Ling stewed pork (sum cham bak). After that, sis-in-law came back with home-made brownies and some fried snacks given by friends - but I resisted and didn't eat them (anyway the flat-looking brownies didn't look too great also :P ). Later, we had porridge with a large fried you tiao (fried flour fritters) for dinner outside, plus supped on some Kettle chips at home. :PP

Saturday: Ate the 3 meals quite normally, including some sumptious sambal sotong (squids) and water cress soup for dinner at MIL's. After that, our mouths being itchy, went to Icekimo for 2 scoops of ice-cream with a wafer bowl. Ahahaha! The SO is suddenly so into these not-so-cheap hand-made ice-cream...maybe it's the humid weather.

Sunday: Ate normally although there was too much salty food, including the Kettle chips (finished whatever remains in the pack of Three Cheese flavour while watching Korean dvd; I must hide the new pack of Cheddar Beer...). The worse thing was that while hungry and waiting for SO to finish watching his video on his pc, I opened up a can of oily GuLong spiced pork cubes and munched on it straight from the can. It's ultra-sinful...must be near that time of the month. :PPP

We went out to have dinner and I had this lousy, psuedo- Hawaiian chicken chop that had this coat of curry powder mixture on top of it. The SO had his hor-fun with egg, but still wasn't satisfied and wanted supper (right after dinner!). So we ate pork porridge with a strip of freshly fried you tiao (fried flour fritters).

Tsk...tsk...tsk... I had better eat lighter meals for the rest of the working week before I pass the point of no return (on the weighing scales).

2 comments:

KXBC said...

Wah piang! Utterly sinful weekend you had.

You were at Icekimo? When they first opened, I predicted they will close down within 6 months (I am usually 90% correct with this sort of things) but surprisingly, they are still sround. It's either deep pocket or something else.

Do you know that I live within walking distance to Icekimo? Come visit me next time you are around that area.

Anonymous said...

Yalor, sinful, but shiok! I don't eat like this often, but when I have the appetite, everything seem to taste very good and enjoyable. Moments like this makes me happy. *grin*

I too, was worried that Icekimo might close down, but luckily, they're still surviving. The weekend after-dinner crowd is quite good leh. With the condo coming up, business should improve.

I am in that area 2x a week for dinner at MIL's who lives at the flats nearby. You'll have to email me your address. :) I've been meaning to ask you about cat-sitting arrangement when you guys go on vacation. I think the cat sisters are going to stick around for a long while, not that I'm complaining.