Monday 31 December 2007

Japanese curry & cabbage

I was on leave today, and decided to prepare some lunch. Since we'll be going over to a friend's place for a gathering and dinner later, there won't be a chance to cook dinner, so I thought I'll cook the Japanese curry which I'd been planning to cook, before the potatoes decide to sprout!

I've had tubers sprouting at home, right on the food shelf, until they look like alien things, like the "alienated" sweet potato.

Photobucket

Anyhow, I cooked the Japanese curry using S&B brand of Medium Hot curry paste, as the SO is not quite into spicy food, but it didn't taste a teeny bit hot at all - even the SO said so. I think even if they come out with a Extra Hot version, it would still barely taste a little hot for our Asian palettes.

Here's the chicken curry with the "disappearing" Hokkaido potatoes. I've added some ground coriander and chicken stock to add more flavour.

Photobucket


The market stall had these Hokkaido potatoes on sale, so I bought a couple of big, round tubers to try. When raw, they had the texture of crispy apples!

During the process of cooking, they've somehow disappeared, leaving me with barely half the quantity of potatoes in odd, tiny shapes. I thought I'd scoop them up into a separate bowl before there was nothing left!

Photobucket


The lunch, served with steamed rice.

Photobucket

The Beijing cabbage at this time of year tastes extremely sweet and crunchy in texture. Stir-fried simply with garlic, fresh young ginger and a bit of chicken stock, it tastes so fresh and sedap!


5 comments:

cat_aunty said...

Oh my, auntie P, you have a visitor from outerspace!!

kuro.shiro.neko said...

potato is 70% water, dunno if it explains the "disappearance"??

wah, the potato kept for how long? look almost like a plant!

auntie p said...

I think the Hokkaido potatoes are the very "flourry" type (as opposed to the waxy type of local potatoes) which make them dissipate into the hot soup easily, should be good for making mashed potatoes.

That "alienated" sweet potato was probably sitting on the shelf for 1 to 2 weeks.

EJ. said...

The potato growing into a ginseng soon!
Good that Aunty P make full use of it, no wasting food.

auntie p said...

Sorry for the wrong impression, I should clarify.

The sprouting sweet potato was a pic from a couple of years' back, NOT the one in the curry.

NOTE: once the tubers begin to show signs of sprouting, e.g. the potatoes' eyes starting to turn conspicuous and/green, it's time to throw them away. They should NOT be eaten as they can be toxic. I've heard my mom mentioned this before and confirmed it in a book about Chinese healthy food and eating.